How Crowded is Yosemite Right Now?
Yosemite is one of the most well-attended national parks in America, and deservedly so. It contains sights and scenery many people would never get to experience otherwise. Historically, June, July and August are the busiest months at Yosemite. That said, here are a few factors that make even the most touristy season approachable and appealing.
- Many people visit Yosemite just for the day, driving Tioga road to see the spectacular views. If your main goal is to camp and hike, the park is certainly expansive enough to find a less crowded or more secluded area to enjoy.
- Perhaps you are one of the many visitors who are simply looking for a few hours driving around the park. You can still strategize a way to do this in a less stressful way. If you enter the park during non-peak hours, before 6:00 am and after 4:00 pm, you don’t need a reservation and you will avoid the worst of the traffic.
- The park is still not seeing numbers as high as it was before the COVID-19 pandemic began. The silver lining of this is that for now at least, you won’t be competing with as many people as historically was the case in years like 2016 and 2019, which saw August Recreation numbers of 780,728 and 717,462, respectively. By comparison, 2021 saw 432,038 Recreation Visits in August.
How to Avoid Crowds in Yosemite During Busy Months
- Start your day early. The early bird gets the worm they say, and in this case, maybe you’ll get to watch a glorious sunrise as you sip your morning coffee.
- Go for a long hike. The deeper into the woods you go, the less people you will encounter. Most people go to Yosemite to see the famous sights, drive along Tioga road, and take a few photos. The more you avoid the main areas, the more peace and quiet you’ll have.
- Pack lunch. Yosemite has general stores and markets where you can grab tasty essentials to take along with you as you adventure. This way, you can avoid the popular and crowded food courts and restaurants.
Choose a private place to stay. Yosemite has every type of lodging imaginable, including private cabins more off the beaten track. If you don’t want to get splashed by children cannonballing into the hotel pool, you can find a quieter place to retreat to after a day of exploring. Scenic Wonders has you covered with this one!
Can I Still Find Lodging in Yosemite During a Crowded Month?
Yes - absolutely. Yosemite has ample lodging even for its busiest months. At Scenic Wonders, we always have a few cabins available for last minute reservations. If you’re looking to plan a last minute trip and are worried about it being the busy season, make sure to check out our rental options here or call 1-888-YOSEMITE (1-888-967-3648) to see what’s available and plan your spontaneous vacation.